20 August 2013

How to make roses out of ready to roll icing

Hi guys! As you can see, I've kind of given up on having a blog, I'm only using it now because someone on instagram asked if I could do a tutorial on these roses I used on these Cath Kidston inspired cakes on instagram, and I wasn't sure how else to do a tutorial...



So first of all, you need to take some normal icing sugar and pour some onto your worktop and your hands, to make the icing less sticky and easier to deal with

Then, take some ready to roll icing and roll it into a ball. Then, squeeze a few drops of gel food colouring in pink onto the ball, and kneed the colour in, until the colour is uniform all through the ball.

The first time I tried to make these, I found it very hard, because the icing was too warm and sticky, so it wouldn't work very well, so to stop that from happening, I would put the icing in the fridge for a while to cool and go harder.


When you're ready to begin, make sure you have icing sugar over the worktop and all over your hands so you don't stick to the icing. Then, make a teardrop shape.


Flatten the teardrop out, and it should look a bit like a plectrum.


Roll it up, so it makes a swirl, sorry that it's not in focus, I didn't realise until I'd finished...


This is what it should look like from the side.


Put that to one side, and take a small amount of icing and roll it into a ball, then squish it until it's really thin. This is the second petal.


Place it where the swirl ended, and wrap it around the central petal.

Once it looks like this, repeat, until you have the desired effect.



And it should look something like this!


Pull/cut off the bottom of the rose, and place the top part on cupcakes or on a regular cake, They take a bit of practice, but really, I'm sure anybody could do them if they tried a few times :)

I hope this was kind of useful, I'm really not the best at describing things, but yeah, I gave it a shot!

Rebecca
x

No comments :

Post a Comment