29 July 2014

Unicorn Biscuits

I got the idea and recipe for these from Cherry Wallis who is an amazing youtuber- you can watch her tutorial HERE, I'm still going to write out how to make them here though because some people prefer to follow a written recipe than watching a video on how to do them (I know I do)

They are pretty simple to make- but they take FOREVER... Well maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but they took about 4 hours, so I would suggest only making them if you have a lot of spare time, but they would be perfect for a kids party or for big kids (like me)



Mine made 19

You Will Need:
♥A Unicorn Cutter (I got mine from Ebay HERE)
♥450g Plain Flour (or if you want to make chocolate biscuits- 400g flour and 50g cocoa powder)
♥200g Unsalted Butter
♥200g Caster Sugar
♥1 Egg
♥Ready to Roll Icing
♥Icing Sugar
♥Various Food Colourings (I used yellow, blue and pink)
♥Decorations (I used sugar stars and pink sugar pearls for the eyes)


♥Mix the butter and sugar together- I used stork instead of butter, and they tasted fine so I really don't think it matters, but if you use unsalted butter you might want to melt it a bit in the microwave first
♥Then add in the egg and mix
♥Add the flour (and cocoa powder if you're using it), I added it gradually as there is so much of it I didn't want to add it all in at once and get it everywhere... Keep mixing it until it looks like a dough- nearer the end I used a spoon instead of a mixer because it was so stiff
♥Wrap it in cling film and put it in the fridge for an hour to harden

After an hour, take it out of the fridge and set the oven to 180°/Gas mark 4/160° fan oven
♥Put Greaseproof paper on 2/3 baking trays
♥Pour some flour onto the worktop and roll the dough out, the use the cutter to cut the unicorns out and put them on the baking trays (this was the hard part- because of the legs and horn being so tiny and delicate they kept getting stuck in the cutter when I took it out- so I took a knife and gently pressed each delicate bit of the biscuit down while I pulled the cutter out)
♥Put them in the oven for 6-10 minutes (didn't think that was long enough so I put them in for about 11 minutes)
♥Leave them to cool and then decorate them! (If you have red, yellow and blue icing you can mix them to create more colours)
Before
After (slightly fatter unicorns)


Possible Decoration ingredients

If you made them- tweet me a picture!

Rebecca
x


No comments :

Post a Comment