09 August 2014

How I Discover New Music


I really love music, so I thought I'd share how I find out about new music, or at least music that is new to me. If you want to know what music I like, I've done a couple of music posts on here before, or you can follow me on Spotify by typing in spotify:user:blakktreacle1

On Spotify I follow a few people and bands that I think have a good taste in music- so when they listen to anything I'm not familiar with or haven't listened to much of on my news feed thing I click on it and add it to a playlist I've made called 'need to listen to', which usually contains about 500 songs that I slowly get around to listening to- Any time I hear about any new bands, I go straight on Spotify, search for them, and add a couple of their most popular songs to this playlist and if when I get round to listening it, I like it, I add it to one of my other playlists and delete it from that one. I also go on the related artists feature quite a lot and follow playlists that I like the sound of (If you have Spotify comment your usernames below and I will check them out)
If I see anyone mention a band on Twitter or Instagram that I want to check out later I screenshot the page, then look them up on Spotify later- I follow so many people with amazing tastes in music so I do this quite a lot... Anywhere really on the internet I see mention of a band that sounds good, I always screenshot it to check it out later
I don't tend to buy music magazines much anymore- If I buy a a magazine I will most likely buy Elle or Vogue- But if I buy a magazine like NME, I will go through and add anything I'm not familiar with again to Spotify. Sometimes even the fashion magazines have a music page with some good music on- most of it isn't great, but some of it is actually quite good
 I listen to the BBC 6 music roundtable podcast- which is a round-up of a few recent songs which are reviewed by 3 people that are (usually) connected to music, any good 'indie rock' 'alternative' music that's been released recently is usually on this programme, the full songs aren't played because I guess of copyright issues, but I listen to after on Spotify anyway, you can listen to it on the radio i player if you would prefer to hear the full songs. The BBC radio 1 review show is very similar but with the latest pop music if you prefer that. I also look on the Radio 6 playlist which has a lot of the stuff they play on it, most of which is really good
I sometimes go on Amazon and click on an album I like- then look at the 'customers who bought this also bought...' section, or the recommendations section and find some new artists like that, also if people recommend music to me that they think I'd like or they think is good, I'll listen to that too (eventually...)
So those are the main ways really I find new music

Rebecca 
x

No comments :

Post a Comment